What is a body wrap?
A body wrap – also known as a ‘body cocoon’ or ‘body mask’ – is a treatment created to enhance the health and appearance of skin, and/or reduce body measurements. A nourishing oil or mineral-rich formula is applied to the guest’s limbs and torso before they are wrapped in cotton, mylar bandages or a plastic film. This promotes the extraction of dirt, toxins and excess water from the skin.While most wraps are performed on the entire body (minus the face and genital area), some – such as cellulite and bust wraps – are applied to certain areas alone.
What health and beauty benefits does a body wrap treatment provide?
The pampering experience of a body wrap can provide multiple benefits, depending on the type chosen:
- Detoxification: Body wraps featuring detoxifying algae, seaweed, mud or clay can help rid the body of toxins through metabolic skin cell stimulation. As your largest organ, detoxification of the epidermis can have a significant effect on your health and overall well-being.
- Temporary inch and/or weight loss: Wraps with detoxifying ingredients teamed with firmly wound bandages will see you sweat out any excess water and toxins, and also tighten your skin. This can temporarily improve the contours of your body and see you lose a dress size or two.
- Dead skin removal: Wrap treatments comprising an exfoliation stage will see dead skin cells lifted, providing you a smoother complexion top-to-toe and a flattering glow. You can choose to enjoy a body polish before your wrap if exfoliation is not included as part of your treatment.
- Intensive moisturisation: The vast majority of wraps comprise moisturising ingredients to hydrate, nourish and smooth your skin for improved condition.
- Relaxation: Once you’re fully wrapped by your esthetician, you’ll be left to relax for up to 30 minutes. This will provide you with valuable – and rare – mental and physical downtime
Types of body wrap treatments
While there are countless body wrap treatments available we would focus on body wraps which aid detox
- Bust wrap: This treatment sees a tightening and firming serum applied to the bust region before wrapping, to tone and moisturise sagging or loose skin resulting from the ageing process, or rapid weight loss.
- Cellulite treatment wrap: These wraps aim to boost circulation to help flush toxins away from your skin and underlying fat cells, for a smoother, bump-free appearance. Generally, these wraps target the bottom, hip and thigh area alone .
- Inch-loss / slimming body wrap: Specifically designed to better contour your body through cleansing, toning and tightening of the skin, inch-loss wraps are often enjoyed by women before an important event at which they’d like to look their best. Up to 10 inches can be lost across the body, though results from one-off treatments are usually temporary.